Serena data server Hot
Update SBM so that it can provide a REST and SOAP Web Service interface to any RDBMS based on a SQL statement
The genesis of this enhancement request originates from the need for providing end-users in SBM the ability to marshal data from our other products (RM, CM, SDA) and 3rd party server products such as HP QC through an application workflow. SBM's orchestration workflow capability is limited by the robust architecture of the web service API for the other Serena product or the 3rd party server product. If Web Service that queries the data source of the Serena product or the 3rd party server product could be generated while developing an orchestration workflow, the orchestration could be delivered faster and with greater optimization. In the absence of an existing web service API, this feature could mean the difference between making an orchestrated workflow or not being able to meet the needs of the customer.
Providing a REST Service interface is also very compelling since SBM also supports a REST Grid. The REST Service could allow the presentation of data from the 3rd party server for selection in the workflow or presentation to the end-user so they can make a decision within the workflow. The generated REST service should also support the _currentPage pagination support that SBM REST Grid provides so that large datasets may be displayed in the REST Grid without uploading all of the data to the web browser.
The logical location for this feature should be a part of SBM Application Repository Manager since the data connections that will be defined are analogous to an end point. The SBM administrator could define the web service / REST service in the SBM Application Repository Manager and import the WSDL in composer as is currently done.
The data connection credentials and server will change from environment to environment. The SBM administrator would likely follow these steps for creating a web Service / REST Service:
1) create a data connection using the same technique they do to create a data connection for SBM.
2) specify a SQL command and input parameters
3) indicate if the interface being generated should be REST or SOAP web service or both,
4) specify access permissions to the newly created REST and SOAP Web service.
This enhancement would provide the following benefits:
1) SBM orchestrated workflows could be generated with 3rd party applications regardless of the presence or functionality of the 3rd party application's web service API
2) SBM REST Grids could present data from 3rd party applications regardless of the presence or functionality of the 3rd party application's REST service API
3) If a 3rd party's application web service API or REST Service API is defective, development of the SBM orchestrated workflows could be generated without delay.
4) If a 3rd party's application web service API or REST Service API is defective, this feature could present compelling evidence to prove that the problem is not caused by SBM.
5) If a 3rd party's application web service API or REST Service API is poorly designed resulting in many complex web service calls that require significantly complicated orchestration steps, this feature could provide a much more optimal dataset for parsing within the SBM orchestration.
The functionality of the data server could be modeled after WSO2 data server (http://wso2.com/products/data-services-server/).
This feature could benefit any client that intends to create orchestration workflows or use the SBM REST GRID and has the following aspects in their environment:
1) Presence of DIM RM, SDA, DIM CM
2) Presence of a 3rd party server product (e.g. HP QC, Remedy)
This functionality could have been useful in many large clients that may be cited off-line. Please reach out to me privately.
I wrote a web service that performed a similar purpose (processed a SQL command and returned an array dataset). This web service has been used in multiple clients as well.
IdeasStatusTarget ReleaseSBM 11.2
Please login to view any attachments.
I have documentation and instructions on how to use this feature. Please feel free to reach out to me and I'll provide a copy. I would love your feedback on this if you begin using it.
I have documentation and instructions on how to use this feature. Please feel free to reach out to me and I'll provide a copy. I would love your feedback on this if you begin using it.This idea was partially implemented as an experimental feature in SBM 11.2. Please feel free to play with it and provide additional feedback.
This idea was partially implemented as an experimental feature in SBM 11.2. Please feel free to play with it and provide additional feedback.